Friday, January 20, 2006

Three weeks of gluten-free hell - Day 12

"If ignorance is bliss, you must be the happiest person ever."

Ah! This is much better....

It was all going so well.... but I went to a Moroccan restaurant and it all went pear-shaped. The place in question was Safir in Hampstead. By all accounts this is a good restaurant and I have to say the food was good, particularly the carrot charmoula and lamb tagine with ginger and herbs. The mixed grill was ok, the rice was excellent, but the roasted vegetables it came with were kinda lukewarm. Although I have to admit, I didn't find it particularly good value at 56GBP for two people with two courses and one glass of wine. So I wouldn't go out of my way to go there again, and I have to say Moroccan restaurants are generally not my kinda place- I find all the decor with the plushy cushions and wall-mounted rugs rather oppressive. But no doubt people like that kinda thang....

Anyway, when we got there I was starving, which was made all the more unbearable by the fact that the waitress brought over some fresh Moroccan bread. I barely managed to resist, but then rather foolishly ordered couscous (somehow, I didn't register that this has gluten in it. Really, I'm no good at these diet things!), thereby undoing 11 hard days' work of gluten-free hell. And now I feel like crap. I have no doubt this is entirely psychosomatic and is merely a way to blame all my troubles on couscous.

Darn you, couscous!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home