Saturday, January 14, 2006

Three weeks of gluten-free hell - Day 6

"Is your name laryngitis? Because you're a pain in the neck"

I'm beginning to realize that giving up gluten has considerable collateral consequences. I've already mentioned my houmous dilemma, which gets me thinking - what about all the other stuff one spreads on bread? Why the heck would you have butter, or nutella, or fruit preserve if you didn't have any bread on which to spread it? Unless you went Viking and had jam with your joint of wild boar..... which makes me wonder whether giving up gluten actually has any real benefit, or whether it's in fact all the other stuff one is forced to forego that makes any difference (if any of it does, in fact, make any difference). Regardless of which:

Mushroom and chorizo omelette, one pear and a bunch of lychees (I bought a huge box at Berwick Street market for GBP3.50 - what a scoop!), white tea for breakfast.

Late lunch was a bowl of butternut squash soup and more lychees.

Dinner: sirloin steak, grilled asparagus with teriyaki sauce, rice, more lychees, one apricot, bunch of grapes, water.

What the heck do people do for gluten-free snacks?? Suggestions please!

2 Comments:

Blogger Shauna said...

Hey, it's hard at first. There's no doubt. But it gets much, much easier. I've never eaten better in my life than when I gave up gluten.

Snacks?
Homemade hummus on cut-up vegetables. Or Ener-G sesame pretzel rings, which are better than any other pretzel I've had.
Mary's Gone Crackers carraway crackers
Fruit leathers
nuts
popcorn
fruit
etc.

If you need any suggestions, just let me know!

2:46 am  
Blogger CCT said...

Hey, thanks! I'll have a root around for some gluten-free pretzels. I've been hankering for something to snack on. Although what I really wanna try is that flourless chocolate torte o' yours.... looks great!

Oh, but wait - I've given up chocolate too...

7:53 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home