Monday, January 30, 2006

No more weeks of gluten-free hell!

新春快乐!

OK, so unfortunately I haven't had the chance to keep up these updates in the last week. But my three weeks of gluten-free/caffeine-free hell were officially over yesterday. You have no idea how nice it was to come into my office to find two ANZAC biscuits waiting for me! And I had my first cup of coffee in three weeks this afternoon. Man, did that feel good. Phew!

Although I have to say, it wasn't all bad. I discovered various forms of wheat-free muesli (some more dubious than others), which I've been having with yofu (surprisingly yummy, I must say!), and also Nature's Choice wheat-free blueberry bars. I must admit this makes for a much lighter breakfast than my usual bread and houmous. And I haven't had any pasta, which I'm beginning to realize is very heavy and highly over-rated. So I might not revert entirely to being gluten-free-free.

But two more recommendations for you: The Gaucho Grill, Argentinian steakhouse at various locations around London, for some succulent aged fillet steak and humitos, creamy sweetcorn mash. The one in Hampstead has particularly chilled out decor, although they don't have a non-smoking section, which is kind of silly, if you ask me. Secondly, Simurgh in Covent Garden, a great low-key Persian restaurant in which I was forced to celebrate Chinese New Year yesterday, due to all the Chinese restaurants being overrun by mad people. The lamb and lime stew with baby eggplant and yellow lentils, served with three kinds of rice was delicious, although I look forward to trying the duck and pomegranate! Yum! As for dessert, pomegranate jelly with pomegranate ice cream...... and Persian tea with cardamom and mint. But I would suggest getting a table away from the door, as it gets kinda drafty...

Tonight has consisted of roast duck leg with rice and pak choi. Thank you for your attention.....

"He was trying to save both his faces...."
- John Gunther

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home