Sunday, February 17, 2008

Recipe competition: Very crunchy granola

This was one of G*'s entries for the competition. Being rather fond of Lizi's granola from The Good Carb Food Company, I was shocked when my local health food shop hiked the price up by 14p in a week, so I refused to buy it any more. I've now resolved to making my own. This recipe, I'm told, comes from Mollie Katzen's Sunlight Café: Breakfast Served All Day. So far, I've made it without the soy protein powder, since I only seem to be able to find the vanilla-flavoured stuff used by body builders. Apart from the oats and barley and oat bran (I haven't yet figured out what oat bran is, so I haven't used that yet), it has pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds and almonds (although I've used ground cashews as I have a big bag of them in the cupboard). It's certainly very crunchy and even better than Lizi's. And you can try making it with different types of honey or maple syrup. Manuka honey seems to work quite well.

Serve with home-made yogurt for a perfect start to the day.

Labels: , , , , ,

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Can confirm that it is quite tasty granola...
R

8:52 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I saw similar price rises elsewhere. That said pretty much all cereals have had price rises, just like most foods, due to the world shortage of cereal crops, so its not anything suspicious.

10:13 am  
Blogger CCT said...

I guess, although really, I'm not sure it can be called a shortage of cereal crops. Or at least, it wouldn't be a shortage if they weren't all being turned into biofuels and cattle fodder.....

9:36 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home