Monday, January 09, 2006

Three weeks of gluten-free hell...

Day 1:

So, for no particular reason at all, I've decided to go on a 3-week diet of no coffee, nuts, chocolate or gluten. Or at least, my understanding of gluten, which I take to be bread and pasta and that kinda stuff (you can tell I'm really into this diet business....). Now, for someone who resorts to making their own bread, and who's just received some Vietnamese coffee beans for Christmas.... well, let's just say it's gonna be a challenge......... and you're gonna suffer with me all the way...

My first problem- what the heck does one have as a substitute for bread?? There aren't many things you can have humous with for breakfast! Guess humous for breakfast is out. Banana and under-ripe pear it is then.....

Thankfully, we found a funky new sushi place for lunch... nigiri, spicy tuna rolls, miso soup.... yum!

3.30pm and I have the worst caffeine-deprived headache. Doesn't help that I got about 3 hours sleep last night either... even got to read Book 1 of Paradise Lost at 2am:

"The mind is its own place, and in itself
Can make a heaven of hell, a hell of heaven.
What matter where, if I be still the same,
And what I should be, all but less than he
Whom thunder hath made greater? Here at least
We shall be free; the almighty hath not built
Here for his envy, will not drive us hence:
Here we may reign secure, and in my choice
To reign is worth ambition though in hell:
Better to reign in hell, than serve in heaven."

Which I think is rather apt, for three weeks of coffee-less hell...

Hydrate. Must remember to hydrate.

Butternut squash soup, sushi rice, teriyaki salmon and pak choi for dinner.....

Bring on day 2....

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Seriously... why? why? Why would you do such a thing? Gluten is your friend!
RS

9:58 pm  
Blogger CCT said...

Apparently not! It seems gluten is my enemy and must be eliminated from my diet.

10:24 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home