Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Smash don't mash...

Steamed haddock with ginger, garlic and spring onion, and smashed potatoes with Boursin

So I have to thank indiagirl for this one, since it was she who suggested the whole Boursin thing, which on the face of it doesn't seem that appealing. But trust me, this is a great way of making something from bland boiled potatoes.

Marinate the haddock with some light soy sauce, oil, balsamic vinegar, Shaoxing rice wine (or dry sherry), garlic, pepper and finely chopped ginger for at least 20 minutes. Sprinkle some chopped spring onion and steam in a bamboo steamer or other method of your choice for about 5 minutes. For the potatoes, boil them in salted water until soft (I'm told I should use red-skinned potatoes for best effect, but I don't think I offended anyone by using white-skinned ones...). Drain and smash (not, I hasten to add, mash - indiagirl didn't specify how one should smash potatoes, so I just squashed them with the back of a wooden spatula, but there are probably more fun techniques, like pelting them against the wall or something). Add a generous helping of garlic and herb Boursin and mix into the smashed potatoes.


Labels: , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home