Saturday, February 03, 2007

Dreamt that....

I've been having some very weird, random dreams recently. It started the other day, when I dreamt that I poured soured milk on my coffee. For some reason, this was very distressing. I then dreamt that I had to clean up a vatful of coffee ground sludge off my sink, which I presume was the leftovers from the coffee I poured down the sink the previous night. Anyone an expert on coffee dreams?

Yesterday, though, following dinner with SM at the Gourmet Burger Kitchen in Hampstead, I dreamt that we were having dinner at some other generic establishment, let's call it Franchise X, wherein the following conversation ensued at the end of the meal:

Me: "Excuse me, could we have a glass of tap water, please?"

Waiter: "I'm sorry, sir, we can't serve you tap water."

Me: "What do you mean, you can't serve us tap water?"

Waiter: "I can't just serve you tap water, you have to be eating something."

Me: "But we've just had a whole meal! You want us to have another one so we can get a glass of water?!?"

Waiter: "I'm sorry, sir, but that's our policy."

Me: "Well, how much do you want people to spend in order to get a glass of tap water?? Could I speak to your manager, please?"

Wait 15 minutes...... some guy in pyjamas and a toothbrush comes out of the kitchen and walks towards our table.

Toothbrush guy: "Excuse me, sir, you had a query about something?"

Me: "Are you the manager?"

Toothbrush guy: "We don't actually have managers, it goes against company policy. But I have the requisite skills and qualities for somebody in a managerial position."

A guy in pyjamas and a toothbrush? What the heck is that about? No doubt there are signs of a deep-seated anguish at the state of the service industry in this country. I have, on occasion, been charged 1p for tap water at restaurants, which is, frankly, just insulting. Oh, we know it's a legal requirement, but we're still gonna charge you for the effort of turning on the tap.... But, dude, what do they put in those burgers at GBK??

Labels: , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home