Wednesday, August 23, 2006

A Scanner Darkly....

I must admit that the main reason I went to see Richard Linklater's adaptation of Philip K. Dick's A Scanner Darkly is because I was curious to see whether Keanu Reeves is a better actor in person or as a cartoon.

Yep, you guessed it.

Anyway, I suggest you don't go see this movie if you're tired as, engaging though it is, it won't do anything to keep you awake if you're struggling to fight those Zs.... The animation, however, is excellent, and the dialogue is smart, snappy and at times very funny. Loosely, the story revolves around the societal damage of drugs and police states, with a rather dark and convoluted plot surrounding an undercover officer. But the plot is not as important as the message, and the film has a very trippy feel about it, which will make you wonder what the heck is going on most of the time. Robert Downey Jr.'s shady, smart-mouthed suspect steals the show, if such a thing can be said of cartoons, and Woody Harrelson's character is exactly as you'd expect a real-person Woody Harrelson character to be. And I loved the ending, which is by far the best part of the movie. I wish I could remember the last line to show you.

Go see it. Let me know what you think. Or don't. Whatever.

P.S. - Winona Ryder is, however, much better in person...

See also:

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I saw Keanu as Hamlet on stage about 10 or 15 years ago.

Let's just say that it wasn't his strongest performance...

5:26 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home